Grandma & Grandpa's Farm

Friday, December 19, 2008

Time to Celebrate?

Can One Celebrate When So Much Is Wrong?

On a mailing list I belong to -- which I will leave in anonymity -- someone made a posting about their year being good and hopes that the next would even be better. They wished the same for everyone else. They also made a statement though about celebrating the season which I thought I might share, and I must admit that it is because I disagree with it. Here is the statement:

You know, for me everyday is important and not different from other ones. I do not believe in these sentimental days as long as there are wars and people starving!

I can understand where the person is coming from and in some ways agree with it. I am a firm believer that the sentiments of this holiday season be carried through the year. But I don't think that we shouldn't observe "these sentimental days" because of the bad things that are going on in the world around us.

I think that if we were to wait until all wars and famine were gone before we celebrated, there would never be any celebration and all there would be would be the negative and suffering. I think that we have to highlight what is good in the world and that we need boosts to the spirit to help carry us through the dark sometimes.

But in partial agreement, I do believe that we should try to carry the sentiments of the season with us throughout the year regardless of what holiday you might observe.

Just as with Thanksgiving Day or similar
holidays, it is important to be thankful for what we have all year
round and not just that one day or meal, we should keep the positive
spiritual feelings with us and the spirit of giving all year through.

So Season's Greetings and may the Joy of the Season stay with you all year long.


Later!
~ Darrell

149.


DailyStrength - Free Online Support Groups

No comments: